Give Yourself a Cookie
Finding delicious recipes that gel with your braces can get a little sticky. But just because you’re working hard on your new smile doesn’t mean you need to completely change your diet — or that you have to deny your taste buds a sweet treat.
That’s why Dr. Dayan has collected some of his flavor-ite braces-friendly recipes in one spot. They’re a blast to make as a family or with friends — and with all the hard work you’re doing during your braces treatment, you deserve a cookie, shake, brownie, or whatever delicious snack you’re craving.
Peanut Butter Cookies
These yummy soft cookies from AllRecipes.com are completely safe for eating with braces — plus, you only need three ingredients!
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium or large bowl, mix all ingredients together using an electric mixer until the cookie dough is thick and creamy.
- Create small balls of dough, put them on the cookie sheet, and flatten them with a fork.
- Bake for 10 minutes, cool for 2 minutes, and your tasty cookies will be ready to eat.
Everyone loves popsicles! Try these fun, healthy, and super easy-to-make popsicles when the hot weather hits.
2 cups watermelon cubes, with seeds and rind removed
1 medium size lemon
10 medium size strawberries
Optional: ½ cup water
- Pop the watermelon, lemon, and strawberries into a blender.
- Blend together until smooth (add water if the mixture is too sweet).
- Pour the mixture into ice pop molds.
- Freeze for 4 – 6 hours.
Fudgy Cocoa Bites
These soft fudge delights are quick and so easy to make that the whole family can help. The recipe makes about three dozen fudge bites, so you’ll have plenty to go around!
1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup cocoa
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine shortening, sugar, water, and vanilla.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the ingredients until smooth.
- Add eggs and mix until blended.
- Mix flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder slowly into the shortening mixture, using low then medium speed.
- Drop the fudgy dough by the tablespoon onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 9 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Store in a covered container to keep the bites soft so you can enjoy these treats for days!
Nutty Banana Smoothie
Cold smoothies are great for providing some relief from the sensitivity you may be feeling if you just got your braces. Even if you’ve had your braces for a while, smoothies are a delicious (and healthy!) treat — and you can experiment with endless ingredient combinations!
Kick off your smoothie exploration with Dr. Dayan’s favorite smoothie recipe.
1 banana, sliced and frozen
½ cup of milk of your choice
2 tablespoons peanut butter (be generous!)
- Combine all ingredients in the blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into your favorite cup.
Keep the Treats Coming!
Want more braces-friendly recipes? Bookmark this page so you don’t miss any of Dr. Dayan’s favorite snacks. You can also schedule a free consultation or give us a call at 718-241-0404.